A unique Christian community bound by God’s love, sharing our love with others
May 21, 2014
St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church
St. Paul’s Weekly E-Newsletter
Matthew George to Preach on Sunday
The Rev. Matthew George will be preaching this Memorial Day Sunday. His sermon title is ‘Love and Obedience” and his texts are Acts 17:22-31 and John 14:15-21. Elder Frank Millin will serve as liturgist. Pastor Ann will be in Northern California with her family celebrating her mother’s 93rd birthday.
St. Paul’s Session Update
St. Paul’s session met on Monday, May 18th for it’s monthly meeting. The following decisions were made:
Administration and Personnel: Completing updated position descriptions for all of our employees.
Building and Grounds: Received a green light to have the magnolia tree in front of the church pruned. Plans for the sanctuary refurbishing are progressing as well.
Evangelism: A New Members Class will be held June 8th following worship. Talk to Pastor Ann for information.
Parish Education: Will sponsor a seminar on funeral planning and end of life issues.
Stewardship and Finance: Will explore ways to save water during this drought.
Worship and Spiritual Life: Will be placing one LAST order for the African American Heritage Hymnals. Order forms are on the table in the narthex for any one still interested in purchasing one or more. They are $20 each.
Deacons: Are scheduled to meet this Sunday after church.
(If you would like to serve on a Session Ministry Team please let Pastor Ann know!!!)
Flooring Fundraiser Is on Target
St. Paul’s has made my 65th birthday one to remember! The donations for flooring for our offices, library, and choir annex now total $1900 so I am going to make an appointment to get the rooms measured and the flooring ordered next week! There is still an opportunity to donate to this glorious cause. The forms and envelopes are on the table in the narthex. Make your checks payable to St. Paul’s and place the word “flooring” on the memo line. The flooring will cost approximately $2.50 per square foot and we are aiming for 1800 sq. feet. Many, many, many thanks for supporting this effort!
Put June 15th on your calendar for an Evangelism Ministry Team sponsored family games and fun afternoon following worship. There will be food and games and prizes for everyone!
Worship is central to the life of St. Paul’s and a critical part of worship is the bulletin. The primary purpose of a bulletin is to assist us with worship so it contains the order of worship, liturgical information like litanies and prayers, the daily Bible readings (called the lectionary) and important announcements.
Here is some information on how to use the bulletin:
- Arrive early and scan the bulletin as a way of preparing for worship.
- Note which of our two hymnals are being used during the service.
- Fill out the attendance card which is located in the pew rack if not found in the bulletin and then place it is in the offering plate when it is passed.
- Reflect on the meditation printed at the beginning of the service.
- During the service the bulletin will help you track the progress of worship. There will be liturgical dialogues (litanies and responsive readings or unison prayers) which will require your participation usually indicated in bold print.
- Review the printed announcements. There is also a Home Bible Study in the bulletin each week, so we hope you will take it home with you for reference during the week.
Save the Date
A Town Hall meeting is scheduled for Sunday, July 13th following worship. Members will be asked to participate in both discussion and a survey as we start to plan for the future of St. Pauls. All are welcome. A light lunch will be served.
Do You Know the Bible?
Answers to last week’s questions: (1) Golgotha (2) “It is finished.” (3) Job (4) Peter (5) Matthew and Luke (3) King Herod
- 1. Which biblical woman loved her mother-in-law so much she left her own country and followed her to another land?
- 2. What was another name that Peter was called?
- 3. How many days and nights was Jonah inside the big fish?
- 4. What was the name of the blind beggar whom Jesus and his disciples met on the road to Jericho?
- 5. Where did Jonah go to try and hide from God?
- What was the secret of Samson’s great strength?